What do I want to know about technology to prepare me for my upcoming role as a teacher? The list is long but I have chosen the over-arching subject of Math because it is an area that I am passionate about and want to learn more about regarding how technology can make me a better teacher in that specific subject. With the need for our students to achieve at higher levels in the math and science fields, I think it is crucial that teachers are always seeking out ways to make math education more exciting, inviting, real-world applicable, and approachable. My questions are driven by the desire to know what resources are out there for math and where I can turn to get questions answered.
- How can technology help me to provide differentiation in the mathematics curriculum? (This question is addressed in the blog posted on April 4th)
- What resources are available to find out more information on how to teach a certain mathematical concept? Where can I turn when I have questions?
- What resources are best rated for free mathematical simulations and practice versus what resources charge a fee but are exceptional for which a school district might want to invest.
- How can I teach math to students with relevance using computers?
In my initial research of mathematics and technology, I have found the following types of resources and examples of each.
- utilize hashtag searches such as #math, #mathchat
- Professional learning blog of William Enemy that includes various categories and instructional ideas, links to other blogs, podcasts, etc
- Home school website that offers ideas on how to teach math concept
- Teaching mathematics and its applications through articles published by Oxford Journals
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics includes resources, articles, training opportunities, and other valid data
- Website that shares a number of math blogs
- Math Forum – includes links to several good blogs and includes a problem of the week for different levels of math students
- Teaching Math to People Who Hate It
- Why Do Americans Stink at Math
- The stereotypes about how people learn math
- What makes a teacher great
Math Game / Simulation Websites:
Resources such as these will help me find answers to my questions regarding teaching math and technology.